Lake Michigan at Sunrise

Lake Michigan at Sunrise

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Respect the coffee



Over the last 10 days, I've been having some coffee before my runs to help get some pep in my legs and make sure my gut is clear. Today I didn't respect the power of coffee (I don't think it it what I ate for dinner). I give it 30-40 minutes to fully work on average. Today, 15.

I felt ready and wanted to make sure I didn't miss my meet up time with Erin. First half mile eh, then gut settled. Good right?

Met up with Erin, and my gut was kind enough to keep its shit together (pun intended) for the next 5 miles with her. Only a few moments of warning feelings. I almost asked if we could slow down to let my stomach compose itself.  I enjoyed this part of the run, as it is fun to have a legit running partner, and thought I could continue at least a slow run afterwards.

Erin went home and I wanted do do another 4 or so miles. Well I ran another maybe 2, when my gut went from manageable to near nuclear. There was no transition. Complete stop. Every step after that was like navigating through a trap. I had 2.5 miles left just to get home.

I tried to jog after leaning on a fence for a few minutes. Nope. I'm walking home. Not even a fast walk. I had to stop every block or two to recollect my stomach. Worst stop was less than a block from my building, like seeing the finish line and getting shot in the stomach. Will I make it? Barely...

In short, hardest two miles I've done. Not sure I should include that distance in my runkeeper. I ran for about an hour, walked like 35 minutes.

Thankfully today was an easy run day. Tomorrow rest day, Friday I respect the coffee.

But to not leave you with a boo hoo Declan feeling, I did take a picture for you!


Enjoy your run today! Take it easy

9 comments:

  1. Feel better. Get some rest and drink lots of runner for the race on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gosh! That is a miserable two miles! But think of all the core muscles you worked with all that clenching. Sneaky strength workout!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, that sucks your stomach rebelled so much. Do you think the heat had something to do with it? Mine definitely felt off yesterday morning and I'm pretty sure it was related to the weather because I hadn't eaten anything weird.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i didn't think of it that way haha! I seriously thought I was about to have to duck behind a bush a few times! YIKES

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! felt better fast after I got home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty sure it was the coffee. Felt a warning really quick before warming up. Hoped it was just a cramp. Nope! never start if there is a doubt about hitting the pot lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Noooooo. That is really, truly terrible. The only mega-close call I ever had required that I SPRINT 3-4 minutes back to work. I barely made it. No way I would have lasted 2.5 miles! Do you run in a bathroom wasteland? Is there nowhere to sneak off? The great thing about Alaska is that you've got a bathroom everywhere you go! And by bathroom I mean forest.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The bathrooms are locked by the city until later in the morning. It was painful to walk by them and see the bars still on them (don't want bums sleeping in them over night).



    Our lakefront path probably has some spots you can hide to, but it was getting pretty populated by that time.


    Lesson learned!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I agree - you must give it time to work through your system (and hopefully get out). I feel like caffeine accelerates the go if you know what I mean. Glad you made it home safely without major issues.

    ReplyDelete

Disqus